What You Need





Acceptable forms of id

*Driver License or Identification Card issued by any state or US territory

*United States or foreign passport

*United States Military ID Card

*US Department of homeland security or us citizenship & immigration services

Two steps one sticker


Have inspection station requirements changed?

No. The inspection station will check the same elements that have previously been inspected. However, you will receive a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) in lieu of an inspection sticker.

If my vehicle fails inspection, do I owe any fees?

Yes, you will owe the inspection station fee regardless of whether the vehicle passes or fails.

Why didn’t I receive my registration renewal notice?

Once you have a passing inspection, you do not need a renewal notice to renew online or at your county tax office. Please note that eReminders are sent via email regardless of the inspection status of your vehicle.

Can I renew without a registration renewal notice?

Vehicle inspection and registration renewal reminder letters are sent to motorists when a passing inspection record could not be found when the renewal notices were created. This letter is mailed the month before the expiration of vehicle registration, and serves as a reminder to get a passing inspection and renew your registration.

If I get a safety inspection in a non-emissions county but move to an emissions county and register my vehicle, is another inspection necessary? Will there be additional charge?

No. As long as the passing inspection was obtained no earlier than 90 days before your registration expiration you will be able to renew.

Is an inspection required to obtain a 30-Day or One-Trip permit?

No. A passing inspection is not required before permit issuance as permits are issued in lieu of registration. However, a passing inspection is required to drive the vehicle on Texas roads.

Commercial Vehicles: Since I will not receive a sticker, do I still need to receive a safety/emissions inspection?

Yes. All commercial vehicles registered in Texas are required to have a Texas safety inspection.

If I have a USDOT inspection, do I need to obtain a state commercial vehicle inspection?

Yes. Texas statute requires all commercial vehicles registered in Texas to maintain an annual safety inspection.

What do I need to do before leaving the inspection station?

VIN errors are most common at inspection stations that manually record inspection results. While inspection stations should verify that the correct VIN is printed on a VIR, you are also encouraged to verify your VIN, before leaving the inspection station, in order to avoid any delays at the time of registration renewal. You can confirm the VIN printed on your VIR is correct by comparing it with the VIN listed on your Insurance card/Insurance policy which is required for inspection purposes, your Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice or Vehicle Inspection and Registration Renewal Reminder Letter.

The VIN printed on my Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) is incorrect. What do I do?

Return to your inspection station and request a corrected report.

What if I have an issue with the inspection station?

Please email the Department of Public Safety (DPS). Be sure to include the inspection station information, such as station name, station ID (if possible) and inspector. All complaints must be submitted in writing.

For more information Contact Us for location, directions, and e-mail.

Gateway Registration Services

Gateway Registration Services is now authorized by Cameron County to offer title transfers and license & registration services to the area. We offer services to the general public and surrounding new and used auto dealers. Come by for short lines and excellent customer service!



4670 Southmost Rd, Brownsville, TX

Designed by Digital AIM Media | © 2019 Gateway Registration Services